Saturday, October 24, 2009

Teenagers Having Sex

I recently watched an episode of Lie to Me which was about teenage girls having sex with college boys for fun. The main characters had found birth control pills in his daughters bedroom and he flipped out. His ex-wife knew about it and was the one who gave them to her for protection just in case she was going to have sex. By the end of the episode the father gave back the birth control pills and became the "understanding dad".
I think the first response of the father was the best one. I do not believe in condoning teenagers having sex. I believe that you need to teach your children the dangers of it and explain to them that abstinence is the best protection from disease or pregnancy. I also know that teenagers will find a way to do what they want, it is part of being a teenager. However, I do not think you should make it easy for them or supply them with protection/birth control just in case. To say "don't have sex" then give them protection, in my opinion gives a mixed message. In the state of California, the legal age to consent is 18. My question is if you give a teenager under the age of 18 birth control or condoms is it considered contributing to the delinquency of a minor?

No comments:

Post a Comment