Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I Need a Hobby

I have decided that I need a hobby. I thought I already had one, but I am told reading is not a hobby. So, I am going to start sewing. My sister has also decided to start sewing with me. Our first project was something that was supposed to be simple. We made aprons. I think it turned out OK, if I were to be given a grade, I think I would get a B. It took me two days to finish. I am pretty sure it should have only taken a few hours.
Sewing is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I figured you follow a pattern and that is about it. I had no idea sewing had it's own language and phrases. I found myself running back to the computer to look up all their definitions. I also had to learn what all the symbols on the pattern stood for.
Sewing a straight line is not as easy as it sounds either! My mother bought me a mini sewing machine that I used to make the apron. I would like to think the lines on my apron are crooked because of the machine, but I'll be honest, they would not have been straight on any machine I used. Luckily I picked out thread that you can barely see! I am also happy that although you need to try to cut the fabric straight, it does not have to be perfect for the project to look nice. This little bit of information helped keep my anxiety to a minimum.
My next project is a business portfolio. I will be using a pattern by Amy Butler. There is some detail to it, but I am sure I can get it. I am looking for all the fabric I need. There are so many to choose from, it is a little intimidating. I have searched all over the Internet and I think I might have to actually leave the house to select the fabric that is just right (not easy to do with two small kids). Wish me luck and I will give an update on the portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment