Saturday, August 15, 2009

One of God's Gifts

I just got back from visiting my grandparents. I still have three grandparents living; my dad’s mom, who is turning 80 this month and both my mother’s parents, who are also in their 80’s. I am so blessed to still have them in my life.
My dad’s mom lives in a different state than I do. I try to call her once a week. When we talk it is for hours at a time. I love it. We talk about everything. Through her, I have learned more about my dad and how he was as a child. It is hard for me to imagine my dad as a baby, but the stories are great. My favorite one is how my grandma found my dad in the closet drinking his brother’s bottle, which he stole!
I have also learned more about my grandmother. I know I will never play Trivial Pursuit with her again. She kicked my tail. She probably can sing a little tune on just about any subject and she has, as long as I can remember, been a lot of fun to talk to. She once told me that when she dies, she wants a closed casket and a picture of her giving “the bird” for everyone to remember her by.
My other two grandparents live about fifteen minutes from me. I try to visit them as much as I can. When I was little I used to spend spring break at their house. I would go to Bible study with my grandma and when we were home, we would listen to talk radio. To this day, she still has it on in every room of the house, so she does not miss a word. My grandmother has given me invaluable advice on how to rear my kids. We discuss marriage, life with Jesus and of course, politics. I can also, trust her to tell me if I have lost or gained weight, if I am wearing the correct color of lipstick and if my hair looks nice. She encourages me to always look my best.
I love the fact that my kids are getting the opportunity to know them. My oldest is always asking to go to his grandpa’s house. They are eighty two years apart, and I can say it is the neatest thing to see them together. My son loves taking his grandpa outside to play. I am sure my grandfather gets warn out, although he would never admit it.
There are so many people who do not have their grandparents anymore. I am extremely happy that I am able to visit and talk with mine. There is no “generation gap” between us. I enjoy their company and love the conversations. I wish that I could keep them here forever! With Gods help, I hope I can teach my kids the importance of a close relationship with their grandparents and what a gift it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment